Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Volunteering

Not much to report, but I miss blogging, it's been a whole 5 days since I wrote last. What's gone on in the past 5 days? Well actually quite a lot I guess. I volunteered on the weekend for CBC's Play On! It's their 4v4 ball hockey tournament and they have it in each major city. Saturday I worked it 2-8:30 and Sunday 1-6:30 doing scoreboard. So just writing down the scores for all the players and everyone to see and then handing in the game sheets to the "statistician". I got REALLY good at writing upside down, some people were complementing me on it even haha. It was a lot of fun, and the two ladies I was working with were awesome. One was the grandma of the Play On family. Seriously. This is a big family affair. The two in charge are married and this lady is one of their parents. Then these two have children volunteering and also in the tourny. They also have a niece running the volunteers. Who knows who else they had there. Quite the operation!

The next day was the same but less busy, so I got really bored. Not much happened that day, but I got a free booster juice since I was volunteering-yay!

So what did I get out of that weekend? Well, fun for one. But also something to put on my resume (duh), something to do for next year, coupons, 2 gift certificates and a mini "disposable" like digital camera, and a a little drawstring bag thing. Not much but at least it was something. I also snagged a ride home because JK was nice enough to stay til I was done, woo!

When I was picking up my free stuff, the volunteer coordinator and the one lady I was working with both days were thanking me for all my help, blah blah, how awesome I was, blah blah (lol). I was supposed to get a free oilers shirt, but obviously I declined. I said why and they were like, "just when we were starting to like you!!" LOL. But I will for sure be returning next year, but only on the Saturday.

The other venture for volunteering was for bikeology and I finally heard back from them the other day. But since their events are in the evenings, I decided since I had yet to really start my census job that it wouldn't be a good idea to do it this week. Maybe next.

But ya, now I'm kinda busy busy! Working 4 days a week this week, then going home for a few hours to relax and PUT MY FEET UP (they are SO sore!), then going to do census, aka walking around for 2hrs+ is very exhausting..!

Sooo maybe I don't need the volunteering anymore.. hmmm..

PS. It's ALREADY June 7th?!?!? (But that's a-OK with me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment