Friday, May 13, 2011

Screw The Government

So this story begins in January. Yes JANUARY. Me and Victoria went to the job fair at school and found out about the census. The position is for an enumerator, you go door to door and make sure people have filled out their forms. We were told we'd start end of April/early May. So I applied maybe half way through February, they were hiring until about March.

The next step is to take the test. Victoria heard back sometime in early March and took the test. I didn't hear back until I had to call them just before April to see what was going on. That day they were able to book my test for 5 days later. Ok. So I took the test and passed. Then it was another waiting game of waiting for an interview. Surprisingly I heard very quickly from them, even before Victoria who had the process started like a month before me.

I had the interview, it went well and was again told to wait for a call. So by the projected start date, I was still waiting for a call saying I got the job, NOT actually working. Nearly 2 weeks ago, I got a call making sure I was still available. I asked when it would be starting and she said in 2 weeks. So far, no call. But in the meantime Victoria got a call about orientation/training and to go fill out some forms. I tagged along just to find out when I would be getting my call.

That was a gong show. But to make a long story short, I wasn't technically hired, there's a "certain terminology" that is used when hiring. What bs. So the woman whom I was speaking to, my crew leader, told me that I would not be working until JUNE 1. Seriously?! I legit nearly started to cry. I was so pissed. What on EARTH is the difference between hiring me and asking me if I'm still available and saying NOTHING else?

Had I known this was going to happen, I never would have applied for this and I would have gotten a real full time job, without all these headaches. The people the government has in charge of all this are obviously not competent. It's a full time commitment, in charge of hundreds of people and you get people who don't already have full time jobs-most likely for a reason... And why didn't the government train these people BEFORE hiring more people that have to be trained as well.

Gah such a headache, and combined with my money problems does NOT make me happy. At least I have money now from my mom, which makes it not SO bad. But the whole situation just makes me mad. At least I got a second job now. McDonald's.. not too sure what to think of it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it. But I can't start until I get back from Montreal. So no pay cheques until into June :(

Wah!

No comments:

Post a Comment