Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Possible Future

Last night the roomies and I were discussing our futures; our "dream" jobs and what we would do if that simply didn't work out. For the last little while I have been thinking about doing lab work, experimenting/discovering different ways to.. I'm actually not sure for what/on what. But I know that I want to be on the math side (I guess that's what I would call it). You know, like physically seeing what happens when a runner runs, for example.

So I just finished a reading for my PERLS 207 class (physical activity for special populations), and it was a study on electrical stimulation to increase muscle activity. This case specifically was for people who had trouble with their gait/walking (from drop foot) because of suffering a stroke.

Now I was kind of in and out while reading because I was up at 6:30 and it's 10 now and there was a lot of statistical jargon going on, but when I really focused on it, I found it really interesting, and could see myself working in a lab/with patients doing something like that.

This class is next at 11 and we have a guest lecture on this exact topic, so I hope to get more insight on it. So now I definitely want to find a research position for the summer. I have to stop being lazy and just send out a few emails! Why do I find that so hard to do..?

Anyway, I wanted to share my "lightbulb" moment, as Victoria would call it. And it's just funny how it coincides with what I was just talking about last night.


I LOVED the lecture. Super cool stuff. I think that's an avenue I'd like to explore, that would be perfect in a lab setting! I know who else to email about research positions then! 
On the list: Profs from..
-Skill acquisition & performance
-Biomechanics
(both of whom I know for sure have done research in the past)
-PA for special populations (or really the guest lecturer)


Also, I might look into the Steadward center here at the U of A, where they also do FES rowing/cycling (what the lecture was about). 

No comments:

Post a Comment