Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Future

Being in my fourth year of University, and my third year of my degree, I know it's important to start thinking about what I want to do after and what kind of career I want. Today in my introduction to sport injuries, the prof mentioned just this; that we're at the point where we need to start figuring out our plans.

For the first time ever in 4 years, I finally had a prof present us with a list of possible careers. And it got me thinking. Lots of them were interesting, sports nutrition, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do it. Then, of course, there's the biggest thing you think when you hear physed or kinesiology, pysiotherapy. But I know I don't want to do that. It's too medical and something about it scares me. I also always thought you needed an extremely high average to get in. Then he mentioned athletic therapy which caught my attention.

So I came home and started looking them up; I've never really spent too much time looking into these things so it's about time. I discovered that there is a Canadian accredited program for athletic training in Alberta! AND I could have a great chance at getting in! There are certain course requirements which are easy enough to get; I'll get them all in my degree, and then there's just an EMR/first responder course which I would have to pursue outside of school. Then, as long as I have a 3.0, it would basically be a done deal! It's a certificate program, so nothing like a graduate program where you a certain GPA, volunteer experience and an interview. So this is definitely looking like something I could strive for once my degree in completed.

On the note of physiotherapy, at the U of A (where I currently go), the GPA actually isn't too high, it's an overall 3.0 but recommended 3.5+ in last 2 years for better chance. As well as proper volunteer hours and an interview. So that could still be a possibility on the horizon, but where I'm at right now, it does not interest me at all. But of course I'm always keeping my doors open and doing the best I can at any rate.

Another that kind of caught my interest was sport physiology. I'm taking the intro course right now, and even though we haven't covered too much, it sounds really interesting. But in the little but of research on it I tried, it sounds very difficult to do, and would require a masters degree which now I'm not too sure I want to do.

After last semester's partial failure in my goals for marks, I was starting to think I just didn't have the grades to do anything after my undergrad. But now looking at these few programs I realize that I totally can, I've held a 3.4 in my first year, and a 3.3 since. So it's totally doable, maybe especially if I have a goal in mind.

So I'm glad the prof brought those things up today, and now I know a bit more, and can have a little bit of a plan. Ideally I would go talk to my councilor and get some more info on other perspective careers, but for now I'll be putting that off; though I know I shouldn't, at least not for too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment