Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blogging & Bowling

On my second blogger blog, #yegbowling I rarely post, but when it comes to the annual major national tournament for team trials, I write as much as I can. Today I realized that I'm 2 weeks away from leaving for it, so I posted what I've been up to, beginning to prepare for it.

Then I went back and read all my past posts. It's interesting to read what I've dealt with from year to year at this tournament, what my expectations were and how I made my way through the 3 days of bowling.

I'm really glad for that blog, because it gives me a bit of a head start for this year. I can read about what shots were giving me trouble and what I did to correct it. Like last year. It was maybe my worst showing, but it was the first year that I came at it in a logical way and could actually analyze what I was doing and attempt to fix it. Clearly, after reading those posts, my head just wasn't in it, I wanted it too bad. Basically that was my biggest problem last year I think.

So pretty much that's the game plan, DON'T want it too bad. Just go out with a have fun demeanor, and enjoy the opportunity that I nearly didn't get. But even before realizing this through the blog, I wasn't making any expectations, besides a wish to make top 20 that I can't take too seriously.

I realized I prepared very seriously last year for this tournament, practicing with the youth national team twice a week for two weeks leading up. This year not so much. I don't want to say I'm over it, but just so many things have happened this year that I don't approach anything the same way anymore, I just want the easy route for now.

That being said, I'm still planning on practicing. I've been twice since the end of league, but on dried up lanes, not ideal conditions, but still good practice (check out #yegbowling to read about that experience). I'm also trying to get Dan, the proshop guy to set something up for me on Monday, but hopefully for a few times before we leave. Ideally maybe one day on each shot (short, medium, long). Also, my friend who is out in Vancouver for YBC nationals right now works at the West Ed bowling alley and he's going to try and set something up once he gets back. He's also going to CNCs so it will be good for us to practice together. There are the other regular participants of CNCs that will be practicing too so I should look into what they're doing.

But more than anything, practicing is just something to look forward to and is also a good time killer/gets me out of the house since I don't have a job yet. I actually would practice everyday just because I am so bored, but in the long run, knowing me, I'd end up injuring myself.. That would definitely not be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment