Thursday, April 25, 2013

Life and the Future

Now with finals being done, my brain can wander. And it ended up on my future. I've actually had it in the back of my mind for a week or so now, but today I specifically started looking at careers.

As of right now, my plan is to go to grad school at the UofA for occupational therapy. Leading up to it I'll finish up my required 9 classes next year (but will take 10 I'm pretty sure) and then possibly do my practicum right after that. BUT the program only begins in September so I'm not sure if I can do my practicum that late and still be able to apply. So this needs to be figured out at some point next year.

IF I couldn't do grad school right away (which I feel will be the case) then it wouldn't be the end of the world, and maybe I'd try to find something relative to it and get some experience, leading to a good professional reference, and better chances to get it when I could apply. I'm also not 100% sure I want to do it, so it could also be a good thing to see what's out there and see what I can get into. Who knows, maybe I won't even want to do OT after that!

But I had a really interesting conversation with Mike Lake, south Edmonton's MP about after the completion of my degree. He was saying that I should consider going to Ottawa to work, just because there are so many opportunities by being bilingual. One, this is another future possibility, but two, it just really made me see that just because you have a degree in something, doesn't mean you need to do something in that field. I guess I already knew that, but kind of thought that was silly; because what was the point then? But what I am understanding more and more is that the degree shows that you are teachable; that you are an intelligent person and can put in the effort, and you may as well have proved it by doing something you enjoy!  So I guess what I'm getting at, is that even though as I stand right now, I only see a limited amount of possibilities related to my degree, I know that there are a plethora of opportunities waiting for me once I graduate. I just need to figure out what I really want to do and go for it. Mike also gave advice on this: don't give out a million resumes, pick a few you really want and then work hard to get it. Plain and simple.

So it's been exciting realizing I don't have to necessarily worry for when I graduate, and now I know I don't have to be scared about entering the 'real' world. Now the only thing is that I'm still 1.5+ years away from really getting on the tracks of life, and I'm too excited already. I suppose you'd call this growth!

Oh and ps, it's not so random that I had a conversation with an MP, his son has bowled in my bowling league for two years now :p

No comments:

Post a Comment